Areas of Expertise
- Health Economics and Policy
- International Health Care Systems
- Incentive System Design
- Academic Health Centers
Keith Joiner's current areas of collaborative research include optimization of resource allocation in Academic Health Centers, the relationship between medical decision making in the Emergency Department and subsequent cost and outcome, regret aversion in medical decision making, new reimbursement models for high cost health care interventions, and application of the concept of service dominant logic to the health care sector.
Publications and Working Papers
- Joiner, K.A. Using utility theory to optimize a salary incentive plan for grant-funded faculty. Acad. Med. 79:652-660, 2004.
- Joiner, K.A. Sponsored research funding by newly recruited Assistant Professors: Can it be modeled as a series of uncertain events? Acad. Med. 79: 633-643, 2004
- Joiner K.A., A Strategy for allocating central funds to support new faculty recruitment, Acad. Med. 80: 218-24, 2005.
- Joiner, K.A. Strategies for defining financial benchmarks for the research mission in academic health centers. Acad. Med. 80:211-217, 2005.
- Joiner, K.A. The Not-for-Profit Form and Translational Research: Kerr Revisited? J. Translational Med. 3:19, 2005.
- Joiner, K.A. Avoiding the winner’s curse in faculty recruitments to academic health centers. Am. J. Med. 118:1290-4, 2005.
- Wilson, M.S., Joiner, K.A., Inzucchi, S.E., Mulligan, M., Gross, C.P., Coleman, D.L., Improving clinical productivity in the academic setting: A novel incentive plan based on utility theory. Acad. Med. 81:306-313, 2006.
- Joiner, K.A., Hiteman, S., Wormsley, S. and St Germain, P. Timing of revenue streams from newly recruited faculty: Implications for faculty retention. Acad. Med. 82: 1228-1238, 2007
- Phoenix Rises, with Tucson’s Help: Establishing the First Four-Year Allopathic Program in the Nation’s Fifth Largest City. Acad. Med. 82: 1126-1138, 2007.
- Libecap, A., Wormsley, S., Cress, A., Matthews, M., Souza, A., and Joiner, K.A. A comprehensive space management model for facilitating programmatic research. Acad. Med., 83: 207-16, 2008
- Joiner, K.A., Libecap, A., Cress, A., Wormsley, S., St. Germain, P., Berg, R. and Malan, P. Supporting the academic mission in an era of constrained resources: Approaches at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. Acad. Med. 83: 837-44, 2008
- Joiner, K.A., A simple approach to optimize resource allocation when expanding the faculty research base. Acad. Med., 84: 13-25, 2009
- Joiner, K.A., Rubin, E., Castellanos, N. and Wartman, S. Resource allocation in academic health centers: creating common metrics. In revision for Acad Med.
- Joiner, KA and Coleman, DL. Perspective: Key indicators in academic medicine: A suggested framework for analysis. Acad. Med., 87:230-235, 2012.