Areas of Expertise
- Experimental Economics
My research applies experimental methods to a number of different fields of economics. I study how individuals deal with risky decisions and how they solve collective action problems. I also conduct research using experimental methods to explore the behavior of asset markets and to study issues in macroeconomics. One of my current interests is the impact of emotions of economic decision making.
- “Information Mirages and Financial Contagion in an Asset Market Experiment”, with Yi Long Xu, Journal of Economic Studies, forthcoming.
- “Trader Characteristics and Fundamental Value Trajectories in an Asset Market Experiment”, with Adriana Breaban, Journal of Experimental and Behavioral Finance, forthcoming.
- "Punishment, Reward, and Cooperation in a Framed Field Experiment", with Jan Stoop and Daan van Soest, Social Choice and Welfare, forthcoming.
- "Time as a Medium of Reward in Three Social Preference Experiments", with Jan Stoop, Experimental Economics, forthcoming.
- ”Cooperation in a Dynamic Fishing Game”, with Jan Stoop and Daan van Soest, American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, 105, May 2015, 408 - 413.
- “Pricing Decisions in an Experimental Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Economy”, with Damjan Pfajfar and Janos Zsiros, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 109, January 2015, 188-202.
- “Experimental Approaches to Resource and Environmental Economics”, with Daan van Soest, Annual Reviews of Resource Economics, Vol. 6, November 2014, 319 - 337.
- “Artificial Intelligence and Economics: From Homo Sapiens to Robo Sapiens”, with Ad van de Gevel, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Advances in Computing, Electronics, and Communication, ACEC 2014, October 2014, 121 – 126.
- “Risk Aversion and Emotions” with Yen Nguyen,” Pacific Economic Review, 19(3), August 2014, 296 - 312.
- ”Emotions, Sanctions, and Cooperation”, with Mateus Joffily, David Masclet, and Marie-Claire Villeval, Southern Economic Journal, 80(4), April 2014, pages 1002 – 1027.
- “The Impact of Asset Repurchases and Issues in an Experimental Market”, with Ernan Haruvy and Owen Powell, Review of Finance 18(2), April 2014, pages 681-713.
Other Selected Publications
- “Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions,” with Gijs van de Kuilen and Stefan Trautmann, Review of Economic Studies 81(1), January 2014, 325 - 355.
- “From the Lab to the Field: Cooperation Among Fishermen”, with Jan Stoop and Daan van Soest, Journal of Political Economy 120(6) December 2012, pages 1027 – 1056.
- “Traders’ Expectations in Asset Markets: Experimental Evidence”, with Ernan Haruvy and Yaron Lahav, American Economic Review, December 2007, Vol. 97, No. 5, pages 1901-1920.
- “The Effect of Short-Selling on Bubbles and Crashes in Experimental Spot Asset Markets”, with Ernan Haruvy, Journal of Finance, June 2006, Vol. 61, No 3, pages 1119-1157.
- “Monetary and Non-Monetary Punishment in the Voluntary Contributions Mechanism”, with David Masclet, Steven Tucker, and Marie-Claire Villeval, American Economic Review, Vol. 93, No. 1, March 2003, pages 366-380.
- “An Experimental Test of an Optimal Growth Model”, with Vivian Lei, American Economic Review, Vol. 92, no 3, June 2002, pages 549-570.
- “Non-Speculative Bubbles in Experimental Asset Markets: Lack of Common Knowledge of Rationality vs. Actual Irrationality” with Vivian Lei and Charles Plott, Econometrica, Vol 69, No. 4, July 2001, pages 831-859.
- “The Principles of Exchange Rate Determination in an International Finance Experiment”, with Charles Plott and Raymond Riezman, Journal of Political Economy, August 1997, pages 822-862.
- “An Experimental Investigation of the Patterns of International Trade”, with Charles Plott and Raymond Riezman, American Economic Review, June 1995, pages 462-491.