Professor of Economics
Director of Graduate Studies
- Ph.D., Yale University, 1995
- ECON 696F, Economics of Dynamic IO
- Industrial Organization
- Health Economics
- Applied Econometrics
- Energy and Environmental Economics
Prof. Gowrisankaran's research focuses on industrial organization; health economics; energy and environmental economics; and applied econometrics. His recent research has examined the dynamics of pricing for durable goods industries; the equilibrium costs of intermittency for renewable energy; the impact of hospital mergers on bargaining leverage with managed care organizations; and other topics.
Recent Research Papers
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Aviv Nevo and Robert Town (2014). “Mergers When Prices Are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry.” Forthcoming, American Economic Review.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Christina Marsh, and Robert Town (2014). "Myopia and Complex Dynamic Incentives: Evidence from Medicare Part D."
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Stanley Reynolds and Mario Samano (2014). “Intermittency and the Value of Renewable Energy.”
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Karen Norberg, Steven Kymes, Michael Chernew, Dustin Stwalley, Leah Kemper and William Peck (2013). “A Hospital System’s Wellness Program Linked To Health Plan Enrollment Cut Hospitalizations But Not Overall Costs.” Health Affairs 32(3): 477–85.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam and Marc Rysman (2012). “Dynamics of Consumer Demand for New Durable Goods.” Journal of Political Economy 120(6): 1173-1219.
Other Selected Publications
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam and John Krainer (2011). “Entry and Pricing in a Differentiated Products Industry: Evidence from the ATM Market.” RAND Journal of Economics 42: 1-22.
- Chernew, Michael, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Dennis Scanlon (2008). “Learning and the Value of Information: Evidence from Health Plan Report Cards.” Journal of Econometrics 144: 156-74.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam and Daniel A. Ackerberg (2006). “Quantifying Equilibrium Network Externalities in the ACH Banking Industry.” RAND Journal of Economics 37: 738-61.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, John Geweke and Robert J. Town (2003). “Bayesian Inference for Hospital Quality in a Selection Model.” Econometrica 71: 1215 – 1238.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam (1999). “A Dynamic Model of Endogenous Horizontal Mergers.” RAND Journal of Economics 30: 56 – 83.