Assistant Professor of Economics
- Ph.D. Northwestern University, 2011
- ECON 407, Economics of Strategy
- ECON 551, Business Strategy
- Industrial Organization
- Applied Econometrics
- Health Economics
Mauricio Varela is currently working on entry models and their application in the Mexican supermarket industry. He studies how the costs of rolling out stores affects short term and long term market structure. He also looks at differences that arise between modeling entry games with complete or incomplete information. Other research lines include network externalities in the airline industry and consumer choice of health insurance plans under employer sponsored insurance.
- “An Individual Health Plan Exchange: Which Employees Would Benefit and Why?," (with Dafny and Ho), 2010, American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 100:485-498
- "Welfare Consequences of Health Plan Choice by Employers Rather than Employees", (with Dafny and Ho), Working paper.